For much of his life, Uncle Fredd had been a materially poor man. But he had a generous heart. He was a strong man with many weaknesses. He never met a stranger, and he had a robust appetite for life: food, drink, women, smokes, education, business ventures - you name it. It is said that he was a "Jack of all trades" and a master of some. Uncle Fredd completed his studies in law while living in Los Angeles although he was never able to pass the California Bar exam. He returned home to Montgomery, Alabama after living for more than 20 years in Los Angeles. He then taught at his alma mater Alabama State University in Montgomery. He was married for a couple of years to a woman who also taught at ASU. Sadly, I cannot even remember her name right now. At the time of his death Fredd was a Licensed Funeral Director, and he had chosen a small town life in Lineville, Alabama.
Those of us whom he cared for have never doubted his love. There was never a phone call or a visit during which Uncle Fredd failed to tell me "I love you." It will be hard for me to delete his last two text messages from my mobile phone. One was a quick "I love you," and the other was a forwarded dirty joke. That was my Uncle Fredd.
I miss him terribly already.
1 comment:
What a nice write up. Very well said. I too will miss Uncle Fred.
Post a Comment